2. Just not interested in STEM
This according to a Business Higher Education Forum brief entitled: "Meeting the STEM Workforce Demand: Accelerating Math Learning Among Students Interested in STEM" (note the title is almost as long as the 2 page brief).
More fun facts:
- Less than half of 12th graders meet college readiness math benchmark
- Only 17% of 12th graders who are proficient have an interest in STEM careers (which aligns with the 16% who graduate in STEM)
- 14% of 12th graders are interested in STEM but are not math proficient! (low hanging fruit)
- 69% are not interested in STEM
- They didn't split out the math proficient not STEM interested but if 43% are math proficient, and 14% are interested in STEM it would make that number 29%