- 1.2 million students in this country are from military families
- Students in the National Math and Science program had an overall increase of 69% in ONE YEAR in passing math, science and English AP scores!
Why is this important?
This program went from idea to funding and implementation in 5 months because military generals wanted our Service Members to have one less thing to worry about. A Staff Sargent in Hawaii was paying to send his son to private school because there were no AP science courses - - taking up more than 1/3 of his salary.
Marilee Fitzgerald who is the director of the DOD Education Activity was eloquent in her praise of the program and I just captured a few:
- National Math and Science "supported our 1.2 million students, who constantly move from school to school, with consistent and rigorous curriculum - exactly what they need to succeed"
- "Our Service Members sacrifice for us every day - we must ensure that they are NOT sacrificing a great education for their children"
- "The schools outside the base are the prime recruiting ground for the military and must they produce the STEM experts we need for our national security"
She left us with this final quote to bring it all together - "it is not the ordinary, but the extraordinary that makes this country great"
Thank you Marilee - so very true. We need to raise $3M to match the $7M that has been targeted to this program. Please contact me if you want to help!