- 0.3% of middle school girls express interest in computer science while 74% express interest in STEM (biology is the big draw lately - but even biology majors will have to know basic coding in the future)
- 100% of the Girls Who Code participants are "definitely or more likely" to major in computer science
- 12% of computer science graduates are women today - vs 37% in 1984 - and women earn 57% of all bachelor's degrees
- 17% of AP Computer Science test takers are girls even though girls represent 55% of all AP test takers
- 25% of jobs in the computing field are held by women even though they make up half the workforce
- 29% of the estimated 1.4 million new computer specialist job openings can be produced by universities if nothing changes by 2020 -- the largest opportunity is to get more women into the field
Reshma Saujani is the founder and she is going to make a difference through summer immersion programs and after school clubs focused on providing the content and inspiration for girls to get excited about careers in computer science!